BZFlag is a free 3D online multi-player multi-platform tank battle game. It runs on Windows, macOS, Linux, BSD, and other platforms.
2.4.18 "Can You Hear What I Hear?" (2018-10-18)
This release just fixes audio on Windows.
2.4.16 "Reduce, Reuse, Replay" (2018-09-23)
This release primarily fixes a bug introduced in 2.4.14 that corrupted replay file headers. This release reverts that change, and can also read the corrupted header for replays made with the bad code.
NOTE: Sound in the the Windows version of this release does not work. This will be fixed in the 2.4.18 release.
2.4.14 "Hello Motto" (2018-05-02)
This release had several fixes and some new features.
- The mute/kill/kick/ban messages no longer display admin callsigns, and the ban message shows the remaining ban time.
- World weapon API has been revamped, including new bz_eServerShotFiredEvent and bz_eAllowServerShotFiredEvent events.
- New showMotto permission to control which players are allowed to set a motto.
- Custom BZDB variables defined by plugins no longer require using -setforced to set them from configuration file.
- The number pad keys are now treated uniquely for key mapping with SDL2.
- Antialiasing now works when starting the client windowed.
2.4.12 "Silence is Golden" (2017-10-29)
This release had a few additional features and some minor fixes.
- Multisampling (anti-aliasing) now works on all platforms with SDL
- The permission for running /poll set is no longer assigned by default
- The macOS build uses a newly released version of SDL that fixes an issue with retina macs when running in a scaled resolution
- It is possible to silence all unregistered players in your client by silencing
-(the minus sign or hyphen), similar to how silencing
*(asterisk) silences all players. Additionally, the /silence and /unsilence commands both work correctly now and support both special cases.
2.4.10 "This is How We Roll" (2017-03-12)
This release had a few additional features and some minor fixes.
- Multisampling support under SDL 2 on macOS
- Added an option to invert one or both joystick axes
- Add ability to reload badwords list with '/reload badwords'
- It is possible for bzfs plugins to register new types of polls
- Fix high DPI handling on Windows (again, since it broke when we switched to using SDL2)
2.4.8 "Sixteen" (2016-10-10)
This release just had some more minor fixes
- Increase the range of the volume slider (which I think means the volume slider has a more noticeable effect now)
- Send a notification when a BZDB variable is reset
- Add an indicator to the server list when a server has team killing disabled
- Reduce CPU usage on Windows when the client is minimized (like how it used to be prior to 2.4.6)
- Added a Russian transliteration of the translation we had in 2.99.x
2.4.6 "Eight, Our Codebase is Overweight" (2016-06-26)
This release consists of a few new features for clients and fixes issues on Windows 10 with AMD drivers.
- Plug-in documentation has been rewritten and updated to be more user-friendly
- RogueGenocide plug-in now defaults to ignoring self-kills
- Fixes to keypad keys when using SDL2; they are now handled correctly
- Timestamps can now be saved with /savemsg using the '-t' option; e.g. '/savemsg -t'
- View timestamps of when console messages were sent, can be configured through Options > GUI Settings > Timestamps in console
- New cycleRadar and cyclePanel key bindings were added
2.4.4 "Be My Valentank" (2016-02-14)
This release encompasses several years of effort and a variety of fixes and improvements. Some of the more notable changes are as follows:
- Several new server plug-ins
- Numerous new API features
- Several new server permissions for more finely-tuned server administration
- Several improvements to the match countdown process
- A new Xcode project file for Mac OS X, replacing the previous system which had many problems
- Automatic reset of the game at the start of a match (score reset and players spawn on the base)
- Tracking of self-kills on the scoreboard
- SDL 2 support, which corrects an issue where the game would fail to launch on several newer versions of Mac OS X
- The radar and console can now be resized individually
- CIDR ban support on the server for more targeted ban ranges
- A new font import tool and higher-resolution fonts included for a smoother appearance
- Serif font replaced by sans-serif font for a more consistent appearance
- Automatic team assignment improvements so that the weaker teams get the new players more often
- Vertical sync option in display settings on Mac OS X and Linux
- List server transactions are now sent using SSL/TLS by default
- Simpler method for including third-party server plugins in build system
- Several security improvements to harden server against remote exploit attempts
- Server list sorting now ignores the observer count and includes a random factor for more fair server exposure
- Improved support for custom colors for color vision deficient players
- Improved server list filtering including custom filter editing and help information
2.4.2 "Doomsday Edition" (2012-07-28)
This is a very minor update with no major features. The primary goal for the release is to have a new package for the Debian maintainers to use in Debian and Ubuntu based Linux distributions.
- Options chat on the left and radar on the right.
- Lagging and leading shot lines on radar.
- Support for Joystick hats in Linux, SDL, and Windows.
- UPnP setup option for servers that can be enabled at build time.
- Inclusion of the fairCTF, autoFlagReset, and FastMap plugins.
- BZadmin on windows has colors like the Linux one.
2.4.0 "Wake the Dead" (2011-07-03)
This is a new major release of the game that is incompatible with the previous 2.0.x version of the game. Some of the major features include:
- The ability to turn off teamkilling on the server
- The OpenFFA game mode which is a teamless FFA, meaning you can shoot anyone regardless of color
- Per-object ricochet, which lets map authors selectively enable ricochet for individual objects
- Removal of local authentication
- Ability for the server to force flags to be hidden on the radar
- Fog can not be turned off
- The screenshot code does not lag the client badly anymore
- The ID flag identification was moved to the server
- Public servers must have a -publickey
- Polls only count users that are able to vote
- 2.0.16 "No Foolin'" (2010-04-01)
- 2.0.14 "This isn't the release you are looking for." (2010-02-15)
- 2.0.12 "The release without a name." (2008-06-25)
- 2.0.10 "Never Say Never" (2007-11-16)
- 2.0.8 "Oops, Happy Mother's Day" (2006-05-13)
- 2.0.6 "Good enough for now" (2006-04-09)
- 2.0.4 "Shiny" (2005-09-30)
- 2.0.2 "Queen of Maybe" (2005-03-18)
- 2.0.0 "Falcor's Despair" (2005-01-17)
- 1.10.8 "lightning strikes back - list server returns" (2004-10-05)
- 1.10.6 "the little hop" (2004-05-14)
- 1.10.4 "not a smurf" (2004-01-24)
- 1.10.2 (2003-12-23)
- 1.10.0 "Break the world" (2003-12-09)
- 1.7g2 "Steely Eyed Banana" (2003-06-17)
- 1.7g0 "Holy Dancing Monkeys" (2002-12-08)
- 1.7e6 (2002-06-19)
- 1.7e4 (2001-11-27)
- 1.7e2 (2001-04-17)
- 1.7e1 (2001-03-10)
- 1.7e0 (2001-01-26)
- 1.7d9 (2000-02-01)
Preliminary open source release